My Twins' Delivery Story - Pt. 3

8:14:00 PM

Here's where things started to go downhill for me.  That night in the hospital, I started noticing that I was still experiencing SEVERE pain in my lower back.  It wasn't like the contractions.  It was a constant sharp pain with spasms.  I know I had just delivered my twins, but the pain I felt after the delivery was less in comparison to what was going on with my back.  I told the nurses about it, but they figured it was just lingering pain from the delivery.  Well, the next day, when a nurse brought the twins to be fed, I started shivering.   I was so cold that my teeth started chattering.  So, she checked my temperature and I had a high fever.  My OB came and asked them to draw blood, and I told her that I also have a bad pain in my back that's getting worse.

The initial results from the blood test came back, and I had an infection.  At first, they weren't sure what kind of an infection it was from the blood test.  Apparently, it takes time for them to narrow down a specific kind of infection.  So, I got a visit from the hospital's Center for Disease Control and they went over the antibiotics I would be taking since I had planned to continue breastfeeding once I was cleared to do so.  I had to take three general antibiotics intravenously, until they found out what kind of infection it was.  They also wanted a clean urine sample, but since I had just given birth that was impossible to do.  So, I ended up having to have a catheter.  I thought I hated catheters before, but having one inserted the day after you've given birth vaginally is pure torture.

So, my hospital stay is extended another day until they can find out what kind of infection I have.  They also check the twins since they had been breastfed and thankfully, they are not infected.  Even though I'm on the antibiotics, I'm still having fevers and chills.  The twins were switched to formula feedings just in case.  So, I fed them every three hours by bottle.  I fed them, changed them, and burped them one at a time.  Then, I would pump for 15 minutes so that my milk supply would still come in.  I also had to record everything for the nurses as far as the twins were concerned - how much of the formula they drank, when they drank it, and whether they had a wet or soiled diaper.  On top of that, I had nurses coming in checking my vitals and drawing more blood for one of the antibiotics.  Of course, the three IV machines would beep when there was an error or the treatment was finished.  I wasn't expecting to get any rest or sleep after having the twins anyway, but I felt like I was stuck in a 3 hour time loop where I would dose off for 15 minutes once everything was done and then the loop would repeat itself.

My hospital stay was extended another day because they still didn't know what kind of infection I had.  The pain in my back was still there and my fever wouldn't go away.  My twins were completely healthy though. As a matter of fact, they were discharged from the hospital before I was, but they had to stay since I was still admitted.  Finally, early on October 4, the CDC determines that I have a bad kidney infection that is not only in my urine but also my blood.  Since the kidney infection can't spread through the breastmilk, I am allowed to breastfeed again.  The only problem now is that my daughter won't latch on my breast anymore.  Like, she wants no part of it whatsoever.  None.  She has chosen the convenience of the bottle over my boobs.  Lol!

Anyway, the CDC recommends a new antibiotic to treat the kidney infection that I have to take intravenously.  They said they would release me from the hospital once I no longer had any signs of a fever 24 hours after starting the new treatment.  But, I would have an IV inserted into my arm where I would have to administer the medication myself for fourteen days at home. I was a little nervous about that because I don't have any medical training and those IV machines were always beeping in the hospital when something was wrong.  How would I know to fix it?  It just seemed like a bad idea to me.  When the CDC doctor left, my OB and the nurses noted that this was the first time they were actually releasing anyone from the hospital with an IV from the maternity ward.  So, they were unable to give me more information on the kind of IV I would have and what to do with it.  My OB started having the nurses contact my insurance company to see whether a nurse could come to my house and do the treatment for me everyday.  Well, in the next post, I'll tell you how the "IV" situation turned out.

You Might Also Like


Popular Posts